Friday, November 2, 2012

Morgan Hill Half Marathon (or The Race that Killed me)

On Saturday I drove to Morgan Hill to pick up our bibs. This is a small town race (a little under 2000 signed up for both half and full) so the expo is pretty small. Just a few booth selling stuff. I did pick up a cap with light on the brim, some socks and some GU. 
This year you had a choice of colors for the t-shirts. I think they had green, pink, grey, maybe purple. I got pink because I don't own any pink and grey for my hubby. 

After the expo my daughter and I went to the outlets to look for a new sports bra because I've been having the worst time with chafing on any run over 14 miles. Ugh. It's horrible! We went to Lululemon, Under Armour and then finally Nike. I picked up a Nike Pro Compression bra. It worked out ok but just the slight beginning of chafing so next time I think I need to try some body glide. 

Had a horrible night sleeping and woke up at 1 am and don't think I slept much after that and we got up around 5. We got to the race around 6:30 and hit the porta potties right away. Last year there was a huge line so I wanted to use them right away. My daughter's boyfriend was running the half as well (his first race!!).  And we also met up with a couple of my friends Terese and Michelle. I was glad to have running partners and wanted to just have a nice run because I was planning to run another 5 miles later so this was just a training run. It was nice until about mile 7. The beginning of this race is gradual uphill. I ran this last year so I remembered the gradual up. What I don't remember was the steep downhill at mile 8. Almost immediately it went down and my knees just screamed! Terese and Michelle had pulled ahead of me and when the downhill killed me I knew I had lost them. 

All the way down the hill my IT was just so painful. I don't know what happened. It wasn't this bad last year. I stopped several times and tried to stretch it. A very nice lady was also in pain and tried to encourage me . (She was also at the finish waiting for me and gave me a big hug. She was so sweet.) So anyway....the rest of the race sucked. It hobbled along and I knew I wasn't going to be able to go home and run 5 more to complete my long run. Fail. Fail. Fail.

I did beat my time from last years race. Last year was my first half marathon and it was 2:45. Super slow. This year a barely beat it at 2:38. Oh well. 

I searched for the elevation map online but couldn't find one. I do have this one for RunKeeper on my iPhone from last year.

I know it looks a little dramatic and really isn't that bad. But it was miserable. 

The best part of the race was getting another medal but I tell you the rest of the day I was not a happy camper and I think my whole family (and all my running friends I kept texting and whining to ) we're sick of me. 

So I didn't do my 18 miles. I iced and took ibuprofen . I drank some wine. And whined. I didn't even want to read any blogs hearing about how fast everyone is and all the PRs. I know it was pathetic. 

I rested for a few days and just did a few exercises at home each day. Thursday I went on a short run. Meh. IT band seems better but on my left knee right in front of the knee under the kneecap feels sore. Hope it doesn't become a problem as I am planning my next run tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment